Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer - Leatherjackets are the larval stage of the crane fly or daddy long legs and they can quickly devastate a lawn. Control leatherjackets naturally by treating with Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer when they are discovered or apply when they are at their most destructive i.e. in the spring (April) and Autumn (Sept). Available NOW or pre-order for delivery w/c 18/04 and / or w/c 12/09.
N.B. Due to the mild weather this winter, leatherjacket numbers have exploded and we are getting loads of enquiries about treating NOW. We would normally recommend treating in April (at double strength) and September, but you can treat NOW (at double strength) as long as the daytime soil temperature is 10c.
Crane flies or daddy long legs lay their eggs in the same area of lawn from which they emerge, so numbers increase rapidly. These eggs hatch in August / Sept and the larvae immediately start to feed on the grass roots. The leatherjackets will feed though the autumn, before overwintering. They start feeding again the following spring and gorge on grass roots before pupating to emerge as adults in August. The symptoms of an attack are that grass growth slows and yellow patches appear PLUS the grass easily pulled up with little or no root growth. One of the biggest indicators of an infestation are birds, particularly starlings, which will pull at the lawn (causing even more damage) in search of the leatherjackets to eat.
Leatherjackets - In August, customers report clouds of daddy long legs emerging from lawns in early morning leaving behind the casings sticking up in the lawn (see left). As the daddy long legs emerge, they start to lay their eggs back in infected lawns starting the whole cycle again - the next generation of leatherjackets hatch within 2 weeks. Leatherjackets are 2.5cm / 1" long, greyish black in colour, legless and with no distinct head.
Treating with Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer - Control leatherjackets naturally by applying Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer containing millions of nematodes (Steinernema Feltiae) to the infected lawn as soon as the leatherjackets are discovered (daytime soil temp must be 10c) or when Leatherjackets are active i.e. in April and / or September/October. Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer is effective at killing leatherjackets, but is harmless to children, wildlife and pets and the lawn may be used immediately after application.
- Apply Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer in September/October - This is the ideal time to treat as the soil is warm PLUS the leatherjackets are newly hatched and are the most susceptible to the nematodes, so if you have had leatherjackets in the past or have discovered a mild leatherjacket infestation or your neighbours are infested and you want to keep them at bay, treat in September/October. Pre-order for delivery w/c 12/09.
- Apply Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer in April - Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer is normally applied in September as this is when the leatherjackets are newly hatched and most susceptible, but if you have discovered a severe infestation (or have had the problem for a number of years) and do not want to wait then you can treat in April as well. If you treat in April you MUST apply the nematodes at DOUBLE strength as the mature Leatherjackets are much harder to kill PLUS you MUST treat in September AS WELL. Pre-order for delivery w/c 18/04 or pre-order and Double Delivery.
- Apply Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer NOW - During periods of mild weather leatherjacket numbers can exploded and you can treat straight away (at double strength) as long as the daytime soil temperature is 10c. If you treat NOW you MUST apply the nematodes at DOUBLE strength as the mature Leatherjackets are much harder to kill PLUS you MUST treat in September AS WELL. Available NOW.
Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer should be applied to a moist lawn (we recommend pre - watering) on a dull day or in the evening. After application you MUST wash the nematodes into the lawn by watering heavily with a hose or a sprinkler. To apply, simply mix the nematodes with water and apply with a watering can or hose-end feeder PLUS economy packs can also be applied with a sprayer. Once applied the nematodes will seek out the leatherjacket larvae. On contact they enter the larvae and destroy it. Having destroyed the leatherjacket ,the nematodes multiply and are released back into the soil to hunt down more leatherjackets. Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer is a perishable, living product, so it is sent out fresh by Royal Mail 1st class post. Being a perishable, living product, it must be used before the expiry date (which is marked on the inside of the pack and will be at least 2 weeks) and it must be stored in the fridge until it is needed. Once opened, the contents do not keep, so it must be used in one day - do NOT store the made up solution or powder. 1 or 2 packs will go through your letterbox and should be popped in the fridge as soon as possible - they are fine on the doormat while you are at work. N.B. Large orders i.e. 3 or more packs will not fit through the letterbox, so someone will need to be in to receive it. Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer is available in 2 pack sizes, so for smaller lawns just make solution stronger - you can't overdose!
Spring Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer Large Pack treats 50 sqm - £20.60 - available NOW or pre-order for delivery w/c 18/04
Autumn Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer Large Pack treats 100 sqm - £20.60 - pre-order for delivery w/c 12/09
Spring Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer Economy Pack treats 250 sqm - £77.50 - available NOW or pre-order for delivery w/c 18/04
Autumn Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer Economy Pack treats 500 sqm - £77.50 - pre-order for delivery w/c 12/09
"Hi Jon, I keep on forgetting to drop you a line, but I wanted to tell you how good that leatherjacket treatment was. My grass is looking lush again. A bit more rain in recent weeks has helped as well but it is green with no starlings attacking it any more!" Cheers Simon
"The leatherjacket treatment which I got from you for the lawn previously was a great success - thanks!" from K Iris Millar by email
"Dear all, I applied your treatment for leather jackets in the autumn and the result, a lawn that looks like a lawn! thanks" Regards Trevor Godwin
"Hello Jon, this is just to let you know how pleased we are with the leatherjacket control. We applied the nematodes according to the instructions and the brown patches on our lawns have definitely stopped spreading. The fresh grass is already growing. We also used your autumn lawn feed and the benefit is apparent. Last year we helplessly watched as our lawns were mutilated. This year we have been able to fight back. Thank you, from two keen gardeners." Brenda and Cyril.
"Just to let you know we now have a green lawn again – so thank you!" Kind regards Philip
"Dear Jon, I have 2 lawns but every summer they went mostly patchy yellow and looked half dead and straw like, despite using fertiliser and watering in dry spells. No one could help and then we came across your site and read about leatherjackets. I decided to try your nematodes. I admit I thought it all was a lot of nonsense!! How wrong I was. To my amazement this year both lawns are lush and beautifully green - I find it hard to believe ! Thank you for lovely grass again. I feel that your nematode treatment should be more widely known and written about by gardening column writers to say nothing of books." Many thanks again Derek Wallace
"Thanks for your speedy answer to my questions about the Leatherjacket killer. It is a great product that certainly saved my increasingly ravaged lawn, this year it looked better than it had in ages." Regards Tony
Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer application methods - Nemasys® Leatherjacket Killer is easy to use. Simply mix the harmless powder with water & apply directly to the lawn with a watering can fitted with a rose or a hose-end feeder PLUS Economy packs can be applied with a sprayer. Use the whole pack before the expiry date, which is marked on the inside of the pack and will be at least a couple of weeks.
- Haws Rose no.14 Rose - Watering cans need to be fitted with a coarse rose to allow the nematodes to flow freely. We recommend using the Haws Rose no.14, as not all roses are suitable.
- Hose-end feeder - Used for applying nematodes to large areas i.e. ideal for applying economy packs to large lawns. This feeder can also be used for applying liquid feed to plants and lawns. Attaches via standard hose-pipe connector and features both a rose head and jet spray as well as an on / off switch for water flow.